Florida Comic Strip Challenge
Amateur cartoonists throughout Florida are invited to create their own original comic strip in this fun contest and exhibition. Cartoonists ages 5-and-up will compete for prizes and have a chance to exhibit their own original framed strip from August 28 – September 7, 2013 at the Center, in conjunction with the exhibition Charles M. Schulz: Pop Culture in Peanuts.
Comic strips of up to four panels may be drawn in pen, pen and ink, marker, pencil and/or digital media within an 8½ x 11-inch sheet of white paper. Entries must be framed. The title of the comic and name of the entrant should be included on the strip page.
Select pieces will be displayed at the Center and participating cartoonists will compete for prizes according to the contest categories.
Entry fee: $5.
Note: All submissions must be framed and frames are available at the Center for an additional $10 rental fee.
For your convenience, we have created 4 comic strip templates that you can download below and submit for your entry. Please not that you are not required to use these templates.
Download one-panel comic strip template
Download two-panels comic strip template
Download three-panels comic strip template
Download four-panels comic strip template
The top three individuals in each entry category will receive official recognition and prizes from the Center and Barker Animation Art Gallery. The top three winners in the Teams/Families category receive a gift certificate to enjoy a pizza party.
• Individuals ages 5-10
• Individuals ages 11-17
• Individuals 18 and up
Judging criteria includes creativity, humor and draftsmanship.
Sunday, August 25, 2013: Entry deadline. Entries must be delivered or shipped to the Art and Culture Center of Hollywood, 1650 Harrison Street, during normal gallery hours (10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, and noon-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday).
August 28 – September 7, 2013: Select entries will be on display in the Florida Comic Strip Challenge exhibition in the Center’s upstairs gallery.
Awards Day for Florida Comic Strip Challenge:
Saturday, September 7, 2013
• 12 Noon to 5 pm – Galleries open
• 1 pm – Cartooning workshop by Eric Gonzales of Barker Animation Art Gallery
• 2 pm – Awards presentation
Florida Comic Strip Challenge rules:
• Entries must be drawn on an 8½ x 11-inch sheet of white paper and submitted in a frame. Frames may be rented for an additional charge of $10.
• Designs, drawings and characters must be original – no tracing.
• Comic strips may be black-and-white or color, and have one to four panels.
• Limit one comic strip entry per individual or team/family. Persons may enter in the Individual category and as a member of a Team/Family.
• Contestants are not permitted any outside help unless entering in the Team/Family category.
• All pieces must be accompanied by a fully completed official registration form. You can download entry forms here or pick them up at the Art and Culture Center of Hollywood.
• The decisions of the contest judges are final.
• Comic Strip Challenge entries must be picked up from the Center’s Gallery no later than 5 p.m., on Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2013. Comic strips may be returned unframed by the Center via U.S. Mail for a $2 handling charge.
Questions? Call 954.921.3274
General Rules and Guidelines:
By entering the contest, all participants and/or their legal guardians agree to release the exhibition sponsors and the Art and Culture Center of Hollywood (ACCH) of all liability that could result from participating in the contest, attending the event, or the awarding of the contest prizes. The contest and all participants may be photographed and videotaped. By submitting an entry for this contest, entrants and their parents/guardians hereby grant permission to the Art and Culture Center of Hollywood and sponsors to use any photographs and/or videos of the entrant or the entrant’s submitted drawing, for any promotional use.
The Art and Culture Center of Hollywood and/or any sponsors or agents are not responsible for any lost, late, damaged, destroyed, illegible, or incomplete entries.
Each individual contestant and a guest (for underage contestants it would be a parent and/or guardian) will receive complimentary admission to the Center during the Florida Comic Strip Challenge exhibition dates. All others wishing to attend will be charged regular admission fees. Each entrant will receive their guest passes at the time of delivery to the Center. If mailing entry, upon receipt of submission, the Center will mail two passes via U.S. Mail.
By submitting an entry form and comic strip to this contest, entrants and their parents/guardians agree to these official rules and regulations and the decisions of the judges.
The Art and Culture Center of Hollywood’s Florida Comic Strip Challenge is not sponsored nor affiliated in any way with the estate of Charles M. Schulz or the Charles M. Schulz Museum.