Dogs of Summer
Sat. – Sun., June 20 – 21, 2009
ArtsPark at Young Circle, Downtown Hollywood
Featuring a chance to meet the world’s greatest dog artist, Tillamook Cheddar a.k.a. “Tillie”; live music; a “yappy hour” for pets and people; a chance to get a photo portrait of your pooch; sidewalk chalk art; kids’ bounce house; wading pools and sprinklers for dogs; various pet-related vendors; and raffle prizes. Additionally, a number of downtown Hollywood businesses will offer pet-friendly dining and shopping as well as specials during this two-day event.
Well-behaved, leashed dogs welcome.
Saturday, June 20, 4 – 6:30 pm (schedule subject to change):
- 4 pm Canine safety course for children and test your canine IQ.
- 4:15 pm Paw Pals representatives and their therapy dogs will instruct dog owners on the requirements to certify their canine companions.
- 4:30 pm “Doggie Be Good” obedience demonstration by The Humane Society of Broward County.
- 4:45 pm Seminar on pet nutrition. Bring your pet food labels.
- 5 pm Dog owners can learn how to keep their canine companions calm during thunderstorms and hurricanes by attending a storm-phobia presentation by and question and answer session with renowned animal behavioral specialist Dr. Terry Curtis of the University of Florida.
- 5:30 pm Meet and greet with world famous canine artist Tillamook Cheddar a.k.a. “Tillie.”
- 5:45 pm South Florida Air K9s Performing Dogs will entertain the crowd with their high-flying, acrobatic antics.
- 2 – 5 pm Free dog sitting by Strolling Doggies, Inc. at the Art and Culture Center for those people visiting the Tillamook Cheddar exhibition.
- 4 – 6 pm Enjoy complimentary admission to Runcie Tatnall’s “Unleashed” exhibition of dog portraits and beach scenes in the ArtsPark’s Visual Arts Pavilion Gallery.
Sunday, June 21, 1 – 3:30 pm (schedule subject to change):
- 1 pm Blessing of the Animals conducted by the Church of the Little Flower.
- 1:05 pm Canine safety course for children and test your canine IQ.
- 1:30 – 2:30 pm Japanese storyteller Kuniko Yamamoto will tell children pet stories and teach them how to create pet-related origami works. A professional Japanese storyteller since 1985, she has performed at The Kennedy Center and Disney’s Epcot Japanese pavilion.
- 2:15 pm City of Hollywood Police Department’s K-9 Unit will conduct a demonstration.
- 2:45 pm “Doggie Be Good” obedience demonstration by The Humane Society of Broward County.
- 3 pm Representatives of the Broward Chapter of the Dog Scouts of America and their canine companions will give an “overview” of their organization.
- 3:15 pm World famous canine artist “Tillie” demonstrates live her unique art-making technique.
- 1 – 4 pm Dog-gone fun and fabulous interactive art activities for children.
- 1 – 4 pm Free admission to the Art and Culture Center’s galleries. Free dog sitting by Strolling Doggies, Inc. at the Art and Culture Center for those people visiting the Tillamook Cheddar exhibition.
Afterwards, visit Downtown Hollywood and shopping and dining specials at participating merchants.
Please observe a few rules: No aggressive dogs. No retractable/flexi leashes, prong or choke collars. Dogs must wear collars with proper ID and have up-to-date vaccinations. Absolutely no female dogs in season. For their own immunization/well-being, dogs must be at least 4 months old. You must supervise, tend to, and pick-up after your dog(s).
Dogs of Summer Sponsored in part by the Downtown Hollywood Community Redevelopment Agency.