Illegal Art Copyright Panel Discussion
Thursday, March 16, 7 pm
During this event, which is associated with the Center’s exhibition, Illegal Art, guest speakers will discuss copyright laws in contemporary culture. Panelists include Siva Vaidhyanathan, author of Copyrights and Copywrongs: The Rise of Intellectual Property and How it Threatens Creativity; Joy Garnett, artist; Margery Gordon, Miami Beach-based arts writer, teacher and curator; Deborah Tellerman Berkowitz, Esq., copyright lawyer; and Carrie McLaren, editor of Stay Free! magazine and curator of Illegal Art. Here is what each panel member will contribute to this event, which is free with gallery admission:
- Vaidhyanathan will give a brief historical overview of the peculiar dilemmas today’s artists face over intellectual property issues.
- Garnett, a painter who works with found photographs, will discuss her experiences.
- Gordon, who has reported on legal issues for South Florida’s Daily Business Review, The American Lawyer and other publications, will talk about intellectual property disputes in the art world.
- Berkowitz, who specializes in trademark and copyright matters, will discuss her extensive background in trademark registration prosecutions, clearance, counseling and rendering opinions on strategies for maximizing, identifying, protecting, securing, policing, and managing intellectual property assets.
- McLaren will talk about the origins of the Illegal Art exhibition, its purpose, and her travails with lawyers.
The panel will also take questions from the audience. For more information and reservations, please call (954) 921-3274.